After dropping off a friend at Tampa International, we decided to avoid the traffic at 5pm on the Howard Franklin Bridge and took another way home, stopping in Safety Harbor for a delightful evening. Our destination was Southern Kitchen on 3rd Avenue N, which features, you guessed it, fried chicken, collard greens, mashed potatoes and cole slaw. We ordered 5 fried chicken wings and held the Buffalo sauce plus the Breast and Wing combo.
Our sides were mashed potatoes, green beans, and coleslaw. The green beans were delicious, cooked with onions and bacon. Next time we’ll skip the cole slaw. We ended up taking half the fried chicken home.
We explored the surrounding neighborhood on foot, stopped to take photos at a charming gazebo , large enough to house an orchestra with a clever ventilated roof. We turned down 4th Avenue from Main St. to check out the other local restaurants for dessert and coffee.
We looked at the menu for Parts of Paris, and although they had an enticing array of desserts including crème brûlée and chocolate mousse, we kept strolling. We peeked into another pretty house from the 1920’s and the decor beckoned us in. We sat in the front parlor and had coffee and a delicious fruit crumble. The atmosphere reminded us that this was once a gracious home. When we go back for dinner, we’ll opt to sit in the sunroom in the back of the house of The Kitchen at 156 4th Avenue N in Safety Harbor.
Safety Harbor is an historic town, established in 1917, in the Northeast corner of Pinellas County. It was originally discovered by Hernando de Soto in 1539. He believed he had found the legendary Fountain of Youth and named the mineral springs Espiritu Santo Springs. Today there is a resort and spa on the site that continues to offer access to the healing waters.
The charm of Safety Harbor is it’s easy going pace. With a population of 18.000, it is a pleasant change from the hustle bustle of the rest of Pinellas county, which is bursting at the seams with newcomers and tourists.