After bacon and eggs for breakfast and baked eggplant with mozzarella for lunch, we were happy to have a salad for dinner. Not just any salad, a salad Nancy style with pears and blood oranges and bits of aged Gouda along with avocado, radishes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, romaine. and radish micro-greens. If left to her own devices, she would have added more fruits and probably some nuts. To compensate for the measly 9 ingredient salad, she baked the best muffins ever, Banana Walnut with a dense brownie like texture. I recommend these low glycemic, gluten free wonders. You could change out the sour cream with vegan cream cheese to make dairy free. You can also bake them in an 8×8 pan and cut into squares.
Nancy’s Banana Brownie Muffins
2 eggs, 3 mashed bananas, 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar, 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup butter, softened ( if use unsalted butter, add 3/4 tsp salt), 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot, 1 1/2 cup of Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour, 1/4 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 1 tbs maple syrup or 2 tbs honey, 1 cup of chopped walnuts
I used a mixture of rice, tapioca, coconut and almond as a 1 to 1 substitute for regular all purpose flour. Bob’s Mill was used because it seems to be the best substitute for regular flour. Almond flower makes grainy crumbly baked goods but adds a nice flavor. I added a small amount of honey and maple for flavor and substituted coconut sugar 1 for 1 for regular sugar
And I added the arrowroot to add smoothness, but not necessary
Have eggs and butter at room temp with butter soft. Preheat oven to 375F. Medium size muffin will take 20 to 25 minutes. Very small muffins take 10 to 15 minutes.
1. Cream sugar and butter using a mixer.
2. Add bananas, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, honey, maple syrup. Mix until even consistency.
3. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, arrowroot (and salt. -if desired). Mix well, making certain everything is blended.
4. Stir in walnuts by hand mixing.
5. Place mixture in 8×8 baking pan or muffin tins and bake at 375F until inserted toothpick comes out clean . Cook time will vary from 10 minutes to 30 minutes depending on baking container.